Effervescents® du Monde 2021: the highest concentration of sparkling wines
The 19th international confrontation of the world’s best sparkling wines, Effervescents du Monde®, organised by Forum Oenologie, was held from November 30 to December 3, 2021 in Château de Pierreclos, in the Burgundy wine region of France.
This annual event is unique in terms of its scope, its method and its ambition:
International in scope:
- 20 countries
- 490 wines
- More than 80 international expert judges
A strict method:
- Compliance with the international wine competition rules.
- Guaranteed implementation of scoring criteria for international competitions.
- Rigorous selection of the panel of expert judges, based on experience, diversity of backgrounds, professionalism, determination of their sensorial profile and training in tasting methodology.
- Annual assessment and grading of each taster.
- Faultless, quality-driven organisation: limitation of the number of wines per judge, ideal tasting conditions (sensory isolation, proper tasting rhythm, etc.) and secure computer processing of results.
- Differentiated analysis of the foam (visual) and the effervescence (tactile) of wines.
- To award reliable and thus representative medals each year, reflecting the founding motto of the Effervescents du Monde® competition: diversity, quality and high standards.
After four days of work, the judges awarded a total of 160 medals.
General Trends and hight points
The Top 10 ranking of the best Effervescents du Monde: This year Italy, France and Bulgaria tops the ranking, with a noticed presence of the Crémants from Burgundy. This year 10 countries are in the Top 10.
Wide representation from all the sparkling wine regions (AOC) in France, as well as from the major high-quality standard sparkling wine (VMQ) and sparkling wine (VM) producers. The entries included wines made both with and without aromatic varietals, using traditional, ancestral or Charmat-type closed-tank methods. 60% of the wines in the competition were from France, with a majority of crémants.
There was also strong participation from Spain, Italy, Brazil, Moldova and Switzerland.
In France, the areas of Alsace, Limoux, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Champagne appellation and the standard Sparkling Wine (VMQ) are significantly represented.
There was a high level of diversity in terms of the sensorial qualities of the wines
Some real discoveries were made, thanks to the tasting of rosé and red sparkling wines made with the traditional method, wines made with the ancestral method, sparkling wines made from aromatic varietal and sparkling ice wines. Low-alcohol sparkling wines also drew notice. According to the expert judges, the wines displayed extraordinary variety and richness, with complex flavours and a great deal of finesse.
Rosť AOC, VMQ and VM sparkling wines strongly increased their presence; they also won beautiful medals.
A high-quality award list
With 20 countries, this international competition offered one of the strongest concentration of geographical sparkling wine diversity.
The international expert judges observe a clear improvement of the quality for almost all the wines productions for AOC designation and Quality Sparkling Wines (VMQ).
In strong growth since 2004, England has today more than 1.800 hectares of vineyards, mainly intended to product sparkling wines.
The Effervescents du Monde competition is organised by the Association Forum Œnologie, in participation with the Revue des Œnologues.
The Services Actions Qualité company handled computer processing of all data and results from the competition.